Wednesday, June 18, 2008

T minus.....

In 2005 Sleepy and I made the pilgrimage from Sturgis to Bonneville. Had a blast! The saltfalts are like no other place on earth. I felt like I was on the moon - in shorts. While were on the subject of shorts; the month before I first went I met a somewhat cranky old timer at the Eyes On Design gig who had raced a Model A in the early 50's at Bonneville. When I told him I was planning on going that year he looked up at me from his ancient sun bleached lawn chair and spat out "Do you wear boxers or briefs?!" For a moment I just looked back at him puzzled, then said "boxers". "Well you might want to think about that one - you can always tell a Speedweek virgin by his delicate steps on the second day." I was miffed. "the salt is like a goddamn mirror junior!" "ohh" I said. Turns out he was damn straight about that shit. I bought a couple pairs of briefs in Wendover and was forever thankful for the old man and his sage advise. So were my attachments...

The pics above are from that first year. The little Orange Model A at the bottom was owned by a guy from California who's name I forget - I'll never forget that car though. He let me drive the piss out of it 10 mins after meeting him. The Details: all steel solo seat that put the drive shaft right below the important bits. Mean old flatty with a three carb set-up and a set of straight pipes that kicked up salt dust even at idle. He tossed me a pair of goggles, walked me through the pre-fleet check list, apologized for the gear lube I was about to get covered with and latched the door down next to me. I felt like I was in a P-47. And fuck-yes it was fast! That one will forever be in the memory banks. Loved that car...maybe it will be back there this year. I'll be there with my old jeans and a fresh set of ear plugs - and my briefs.

No comments: