Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." HST.

I just finished "The Kitchen Readings" by Sheriff Bob Braudis and Michael Cleverly and it inspired me to say a couple things about the good doctor.

I bought "Hells Angles" when I was just out of high school in the late eighties and read it cover to cover in two days (that was a huge accomplishment for me back then - still is). As soon as I finished it I read it again. I had never been so completely gripped by a story or a writer before. I bought the book at a used bookstore in downtown Detroit for a buck fifty. It kicked off a lifelong admiration for the man and his work.

I have read just about everything he wrote. His views on politics, rock and roll, motorcycles (or anything built for speed) and life I'm totally in line with. But what I love more than anything else in his work is his vicious sense of humor. I've never laughed so hard reading a book. He was sharp as razor knife and lived out his days on it's edge. I miss the man dearly.

I only wished he would have lived long enough to see our current "leader" and all his policies get the big black boot. I'd like to have my country back and I'd love to have Gonzo back with it!

Good night good Doctor wherever you are...

No comments: