Wednesday, October 8, 2008

12,000 miles in four weeks PT 5 - Portland

It's 2am in Portland - TIME FOR DONUTS!!! Kelly and Jimin took me to the "world famous" Voodoo Donuts in the wee hours of the morning (it may have only been 1am - I don't really remember). Anyway, neat place and if your looking for a donut shaped like a giant cock with balls, well, you can get one here (they had sold out by the time we got there but it was still worth the trip).

My Portland guides eyeing the saturated fats...

Powdered, jelly filled, cock-n-balls, apple, dirty sanchez...

ummmmmm yummy... yes thats Cap'n Crunch there in the front and a little Fruit Loop topping off to the right. Just what one needs after drinking 6 Stoli and soda's...

"are you fully insured?"

On the hunt for some artsy artsy...

Found some!

I always thought an art gallery would be way less stuffy if it only had a skateboard ramp inside!

This is David Wien, he's from Grand Rapids Mi and I dug his stuff, so I bought a piece.
His work was very detailed little (and huge) paper mache'e skateboards and skulls. Cool shit.
This dudes work was all skate/nude-related and it was all sold out. Bummer cause his stuff was hilarious!

Street stuff...

Deep into the night...and many potent cocktails. Ping pong in background.

Next stop that night, some place that had live music and (very creepy) live astronauts...


"Jimin! your not in London!!!!"

The next morning it was off to the coast. I was stoked because I had not gone surfing in 3 years and was anxious to get back in the water to see if I could still glide. The surf was only chest high but was still a total blast. The water was deep and dark and felt very sharky as that rock above was covered in see lions and seals - white shark food. Thankfully my skinny frame found no takers.

50 degree water meant 4mm suit and booties. I was able to talk the local shop into letting me use a real glass board - a 9'0 with a nice rocker and medium rail section. It rode pretty well and by the end of my session I had out about 2 dozen decent waves to remember. Jimin slept like a baby on the beach... to many donuts and stoli's from the night prior (alright, she was just a little tired).

After a cold surf what could be better than red-hot chili fries and sliders? This was the most unhealthy food I had eaten the entire trip - but man it tasted damn good.

After a few days it was time to mount back up and head East for the Vintage days in Davenport. Portland was one of the best cities I had ever visted. It's young, open minded and full of stoke. Tons to do and see with plenty of interseting places and people to visit. If you get the chance to go GO....
I want to thank Jimin, Kelly and all their friends who treated me like family while I was in Portland. Cheers to you all and I will see you a littler further on down the trail...

No comments: